Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

the little mermaid


I big puffy heart love "The Little Mermaid" so when it was re-released at the beginning of this month, I knew we would own it and I hoped my kids (especially Love Bug) loved it as much as me.

D ended up having a late meeting with his boss, so I decided to pop that movie into the DVD player and snuggle in with the kids while we watched.  I didn't realize we were going to embark on an emotional roller coaster.

Halfway through, the subject of marriage comes up in the movie.
The Mayor: "what is married?"
Me: "mommy and daddy are married"
TM: "I want to get married"
Me: "one day when you are older and you meet the right girl, you can get married and start your own family".
He looked at me and his eyes started getting wet with tears and the lower lip started quivering
TM: "but then I will have to leave you and I won't live with you anymore".
I looked at Love Bug and she was balling her eyes out saying "I don't want to leave you".  I scooped them both up, snuggled with them, kissed their tears away and told them they had nothing to worry about because they would be living with mommy and daddy for a very, very, very long time.  This appeased them although they wouldn't leave my side for the rest of the movie.  Literally, Love Bug was under one arm and The Mayor was lying on top of me.

At the end of the movie, when Ariel and Prince Eric get married, Ariel has to say goodbye to all her friends and family...including her father.  When Ariel and King Triton are hugging, I look down and see The Mayor is crying again.  I ask him why he is crying and he sobs "she has to say goodbye to her daddy...she is going to miss him so much".  I look at Love Bug and she is crying again too.  Oh. My. Goodness.  We started the whole hugging, kissing and soothing routine again all while reassuring them Ariel was going to see her daddy all of the time, that he would come back from the sea to visit her and they were going to be happy.  I asked if they were sad because they didn't want to leave me and daddy and they both said yes.  Again I told them they had nothing to worry about because we would all be together for a very long time.

I will remind them of this in 10 years when they are telling me they can't wait to move out.

i love these little sweets so much

No comments:

Post a Comment