Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

the martha stewart in me

That blog title just made me chuckle a bit because when my children look back at these blogs 20-30 years from now, they will think "who's Martha Stewart"?

Apparently I signed up at the beginning of the school year to make the Easter treats for The Mayor's Easter party. His teacher emailed me last week asking me if I was still able to do it and the wheels starting churning. I know it is a bunch of 2 and 3 year olds and they would be happy with a plain ol' sugar cookie but I wanted to do something really cute. I thought about making rice krispy treats, molding them into egg shapes then dipping the ends in melted chocolate and rainbow sprinkles (we did this with The Mayor last year at home and they were adorable), but The Mayor is gluten-free and the new gluten-free Rice Krispies cereal doesn't come out until June. Hmmmm, so I went to Michael's to see if I could find anything cute. I found adorable plates and a bunny cake mold on clearance - jackpot.

I decided to make a gluten-free cake and decorate it. But the more I thought about it, the more nervous I got about making a gluten-free cake. I am still experimenting with gluten-free baking...

Then I remembered Cocoa Pebbles cereal is gluten-free! So I made Cocoa Pebbles marshmallow treats, pressed it into the bunny cake mold and decorated it with homemade cream cheese icing. Just hearing about it will send you into a sugar rush...perfect, I know!

It is adorable and I can't wait to see The Mayor and his friends faces when I bring it into class. Hoping for some leftovers...

the cake mold

the Cocoa Pebbles treats pressed into the mold

two ears done

the finished product!
I only decorated the top. Homemade marshmallow treats are not nearly as sweet as the prepackaged ones but the homemade cream cheese icing is. I figured less is more with this crew.

No comments:

Post a Comment