Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, May 7, 2012

what a weekend


I had every intention of blogging throughout the weekend, but man, this weekend was just too awesome.  So here is the recap...will start at the beginning...

Saturday morning we woke the kids up around 6:45 so we could go to my 5K race.  Yes, you read that correctly.  MY 5K...my stomach was in knots.  I wasn't ready.  And I was thinking of every excuse to try and get out of it...but I didn't want to be a quitter.  My husband is training for an IronMan for crying outloud...140.6 miles.  And I'm trying to get out of running 3.1 miles.  Lame.

The race started and I stuck to my pace.  Lots of people passed me but I then passed them later because they started too quickly.  I just stuck with slow and steady wins the race.  There were two girls in front of me with shirts that said "Good, Better, Best...Never Let It Rest.  Until your good is better and your better is best".  I just kept reading their shirts and when I was no longer behind them, I just kept repeating it to myself.  At the 1 1/2 mile mark, we came upon the water station where my sweet boy was holding a cup of water for me.  I almost cried while running.  It was a good little boost for me.  And when I got to the 2 1/2 mile point, D and the kids were standing on the sidewalk cheering me on.  The Mayor started running next to me (sadly, he kept passing me and would stop and wait for me).  My music was blaring in my ears but I could read his lips and he kept asking "mommy, are you tired?"  Was I ever.  But seeing their sweet faces helped me push through.  I didn't finish in any record time, but I did it.  And I ran more than I walked.  I walked about 1/2 mile (which was all uphill).  I am proud of myself.  
the best cheerleaders...ever

After the race and lunch, we headed home for naps.  And after naps, we took the kids to Mamie and PopPop's so they could spend the night and D and I could have a much needed date night.  D and I went to Buckhead and went out to one of the best restaurants and had one of the best meals I have ever had.  We had a lot to celebrate...D's birthday, his new job and Mother's Day.

Sunday morning, we picked the kids up and headed to church and then came home for naps.  After Love Bug woke up from nap, we took the kids to the pool.  Jackpot.  The kids had an absolute blast!  Love Bug told D "this is so fun" (she is getting quite the vocabulary).  We put a life vest on The Mayor...which took some coaxing because he didn't understand the vest would keep him afloat.  But after awhile, he would actually let me let go of him and then he would kick his feet and move his arms and "swim" to the side of the pool.  The look of pride on his face was priceless.  I am hopeful by summer's end, the life vest can come off and he will be able to swim to the side all by himself! 

need to get the kids some sunglasses...but I love her squinty face

he loves this floaty...before the life vest went on

drying off...squinty face

my loves

Today The Mayor had an amazing session with his OT.  We are seeing such improvements...it is just crazy to think of how this school year started.  So happy we are ending on such a high note.  Hard to think he will be done with this school year in a couple of weeks.  But I am happy to see this chapter coming to an end and am excited of the amazing things to come.  I am ready for summer with my munchkins!


No comments:

Post a Comment