Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

zofran: the wonder drug


This sweetness occurred after 8 hours of vomiting.  Oh how I hate it when my sweets are sick...but I really hate it when they are sick and vomiting.  You just feel so helpless.

At 4AM, I was woken up with cries from The Mayor's bedroom.  At first, I thought he was crying because he heard D moving around and he was upset D was leaving to go to the gym.  But the crying intensified and then it became his "something is wrong" cry.  I got out of bed to be greeted at his door with a crying Mayor covered in vomit.  He had gotten sick in his sleep and the fun began.  After we got his room stripped, cleaned and sanitized, The Mayor climbed into bed with me.  

I made him some Gatorade to keep him hydrated but he couldn't even keep that down.  I would wait an hour and let him have a sip, and it would come back up.  Then he would violently dry heave and then it got to the point where he was vomiting bile and wasn't urinating.  So off to the doctor we went for Zofran.  Thankfully a friend of mine was able to keep Love Bug so I didn't expose her to The Mayor or the germs in the sick waiting room at the pediatrician.

He vomited the last time at noon in the Publix parking lot while we were walking in to get his prescription.  I put the first pill in his mouth the second the pharmacist handed me the bag.  That drug is a wonder drug.  I got him home, covered him up and told him he had to wait a few minutes before he could drink (the doctor said to wait 30 minutes) and this is what I found.  My sweet boy passed right out.  I woke him to have one sip and he didn't wake up to get sick...so after his nap, I let him slowly drink some fluids.  By 3:00 in the afternoon, he urinated for the first time (which was a huge relief because we were 2 hours away from the cut-off time of having to take him to the hospital).  

He is running a fever and I gave him a second dose of Zofran right before bed.  Praying he gets through the night.  He has had only fluids today and if we wake up tomorrow with no vomit, I will let him eat some saltines.  Praying Love Bug (and D and I) come out of this unscathed...not holding my breath but wishful thinking nonetheless.

We did manage to have one good day of 2013...on New Year's Day we had an impromptu football watching party with some friends.  The kids were super excited Aidan was here to play...only hope we didn't pass any germs along to him!  

Happy 2013!

2 comments:

  1. Zofran is the wonder drug. I have 10 pills on me at all times when we travel. Unless it's food poisoning and they *need* to vomit, Zofran is the way to go. I used it on Colby when he was just a few weeks old and we got the stomach bug. However, it doesn't stop the trots... heh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the doctor said too...but trots I will take over vomit...especially 8 hours of vomit! He was pitiful!

      Delete