Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

middle-age?


This morning I had an appointment at the dermatologist for my annual mole patrol...which I absolutely hate because every year she wants to remove another mole.  While I was there, I asked her about what I thought was a dry scalp I couldn't get rid of...turns out I have psoriasis.  It is at the base of my scalp and my elbows.

She explained it is just a little skin condition that usually occurs when a person hits middle-age at which point I didn't hear another word she said because I could only replay the word "middle-age" in my head.  When I finally came to, she said the word middle-age again...I almost blacked out at that point.

I'm sorry...am I middle-age?  I did remind myself, while she was insulting me, I am 35.  Although most days I feel like I just left college.  But is 35 middle-age?  Can you legally be considered middle-age with a 4 year old and a 21 month old?  Don't you have to have teens to be middle-age?

Here is the quick and dirty definition of psoriasis.  It is a common skin condition in which one has an overactive immune system causing them to regenerate skin cell growth faster than a "normal" person.  Because the new skin cells grow so quickly, the dead skin cells don't fall off normally so they build up (on my scalp and elbows).  Looks like really bad dry skin.  It can lie dormant for long periods of time and flair ups can be brought on by many things...stress being one.  And it has been quite a stressful few weeks.  Hopefully the steroid foam the dermatologist gave me will get rid of this flair up.

Gross, I know.

But now that I am middle-age, guess I need to get used to old lady abnormalities.


No comments:

Post a Comment