Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

first day of prek

Today was The Mayor's first day of PreK.  The day I have been dreading and anticipating all summer finally arrived.  Dreading because it is his last year in preschool and dreading because I am so afraid we are going to run into issues like we did last year.  But anticipating because he is so ready for PreK and anticipating because he has grown so much in the past year and I know this year is going to be a great year for him.

After his speech therapy, D and I loaded up The Mayor and headed straight to school.  As soon as we got into the carpool line, we started preparing him, again, about what was to come.  We reminded him we would unbuckle him and one of the teachers in the school would come get him from the car and take him to his class.  I was preparing myself for tears and a lot of "no" but he surprised us.  He was completely fine.  And I sat in shock and awe as I watched him hop down from the car, holding a teacher's hand (a teacher he has never laid eyes on) and walked into the school with her.  What a change from last year.  Praying this is our new norm and we can utilize carpool all year long.

We picked him up this afternoon and he stood patiently and quietly holding a teacher's hand while we pulled up for him to be loaded in.  His teacher told us he had a great day.  He was a little overwhelmed by the new environment and with the noise and chaos of a classroom full of 4 year olds, but she said a lot of them were as well.  And since The Mayor's OT is specifically working on this (having The Mayor do quiet activities in a room with a lot of noise and chaos) I am confident he will be comfortable in a couple of weeks and this won't be any issue.

To say I am proud of The Mayor is a complete understatement.  He has made such strides and I am hopeful and prayerful that this year is going to be his best preschool year yet.

Tomorrow...Love Bug has her first day.



No comments:

Post a Comment