Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

the perfect storm

I make it a point, a true effort, to never wish this time away. I can honestly say, in the 2 years and 3 months that The Mayor has been on this Earth, I have never said "I wish this time would pass" or "I can't wait until he is older or can do 'this'...". I know this time will be gone, much faster than I could ever want, and I will wish with every fiber in my being that I could have it all back. So I do relish this time...it is after all the reason I decided to quit my job after The Mayor was born and stay at home with him. I could not fathom dropping him off at a daycare center everyday to have someone else see all of the milestones in his life. That is my job...that is why I am here. To be The Mayor's mother...

...that isn't too say there aren't days where I do wish I could hide...in a dark closet...and go by another name other than "momma". Being 32 weeks pregnant, sleep is non-existent and raising a 2 year old when he is having one of his days...sometimes those things get on a collision course and I call it 'The Perfect Storm'. Today was that day.

I woke up exhausted...even if I am fortunate enough to fall asleep at night, I am waking up every 2 hours because I have a 32 week old fetus doing the cha-cha on my bladder. So the constant interrupted sleep is still tiring. And it is extremely rare, but every once in a blue moon, The Mayor wakes up in a foul mood. And today was that day. He is cutting his last molars and it is making him so crabby. He is biting...and biting hard. He actually broke my skin last week. He is chewing on everything...from his own fingers (he almost broke his own skin the other day), to his sippy cups, to my shoulders, making new bite marks in his crib, pretty much anything that goes into his mouth. But this morning I was bound and determined to take his foul self to the children's play museum to play and burn off some energy. We barely made it 45 minutes before I picked him up, we said our good-byes to our friends and took off. He just would not listen to me. And my patience was just not there today. I barely got into the car before I broke down in tears...from exhaustion, guilt, exhaustion (oh, did I already mention that?)

The day kind of got better but at dinner he was so sweet...just sitting there quietly eating his tacos. So I started to cry...I felt so guilty for being irritated with him earlier in the day. He is 2 years old for crying out loud. Can I really expect my child to be perfect every day? We all have our days...and if I am going to have my days at 33 years old, what makes me think my 2 year old is going to be any different? So I sat back and thanked God for blessing me with this precious child, and even though today was my perfect storm, I was still so fortunate to have The Mayor in that storm with me. I am looking forward to tomorrow...a new day...with the little love of my life.

my little grocery shopper

the water table...the table that eventually caused us to leave. The Mayor thought it would be more fun to put the water on himself and the floor then keep it in the tub...

of course my little man would have found the train table

No comments:

Post a Comment