Blog Archive

Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

mr. independent

I believe Frank Sinatra's song "I did it my way" is going to be The Mayor's theme song for his life. Today was The Mayor's Thanksgiving lunch at his school and as the parents were in the gym setting up the tables and getting the food prepped, we noticed our children being brought down the hallway in their Thanksgiving costumes. Each child was wearing a t-shirt decorated with their handprints made into turkeys, necklaces made out of painted pasta shells, and construction paper headbands with their names on them and a feather sticking out the back. They looked adorable. And then I saw The Mayor, wearing only the t-shirt. He was the only child in his class not wearing the necklace or the headband.

He was so excited when he came into the gym and saw me. He ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug. I am so happy we are at the stage where he is still so excited to see me. The Mayor's teacher made her rounds talking to all of the parents and when she came up to me I said, "so he didn't want to wear the hat?" and she said "we are lucky he is wearing the t-shirt". I just laughed...that is my boy. He doesn't care what everyone is doing, if he doesn't want to do it, he isn't going to do it. I can only hope this strength continues through the teen years when peer pressure is kicked up a notch.

They got him to agree to wear the t-shirt once they explained to him why they wanted him to wear the shirt and only after they agreed to let him help take off his old t-shirt to put on this new t-shirt. Mr. Independent.

the placemat they made for their lunch

running free!

No comments:

Post a Comment