Blog Archive

Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

i love this boy

This sweet boy is the love of my life. And I haven't been the same since he came into our lives almost 3 years ago.

The past few weeks have been a little stressful for D and me. The Mayor seems to be embarking on the "terrible 3s" by testing his limits and being defiant. And honestly, I have gone to bed many a nights feeling beaten down. I have gone to bed upset about his behavior, upset at feeling like a failure as a mother, upset about my own behavior in how I may have handled him that day. The other night I spoke on the phone with a friend of mine who has 5 children all under the age of 6. And I was asking her how she does it...everyday, all day with 5 children when I feel like many days I can't get through with just my two. She told me within the past 2 years, she has had 7 friends who have lost a child, either through pregnancy or worse, losing their actual living child. And that when she is struggling with one of her own, she thinks about her 7 friends and how they would give everything in the world to be in her shoes struggling with their child...

And then she said something so profound to me. Our children are a gift from God...actually handpicked for us by Him and giving to us on loan. Our job is to love them, nurture them and raise them so they get to heaven to be back with our Savior one day. We all think of our children as a gift from God, but hearing her put it in this context, well, it literally brought me to tears.

We had this conversation only two days ago, but I have got to tell you these past two days have been two of the best days I have had as a mother. Not to say The Mayor is miraculously no longer testing his limits, there have been spankings and time outs in these two days, but my attitude is so different. And he is picking up on that and he seems to be happier too.

Within the past 48 hours, when I could feel myself starting to get irritated with The Mayor, I have had to remind myself about those 7 families who have lost their babies...and it has been like a "timeout" for myself. My disciplining has been so calm and he hasn't had any tantrums.

I love my gifts from God...and am so thankful that He chose D and me to be the parents of The Mayor and Love Bug. I promise to not take this gift lightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment