Blog Archive

Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

if you can't beat 'em, bribe 'em

We have been trying for months to potty train The Mayor. And I know I blogged a month or so ago that he had peed in the potty, but to be honest, he made droplets in the potty that day and he hasn't even done that again. But we had tried so many times that the droplets made us happy so we rewarded him with a brownie.

Now we have had to up the ante. We have a basket of new toys that we have been resorting to for bribery and everyday we bribe The Mayor with "if you go pee pee in the potty, you will get a special toy". So we will put him on the potty and he will sit there, and sit there, and sit there, and sit there....sorry, dozed off for a second...and sit there NOT PEEING. Then he throws up his hands and says "I'm done...and I get a special toy" and we tell him "no, you don't get the special toy because you didn't pee pee in the potty!"

So today, instead of telling him he gets a special toy if he pees in the potty, I showed him one of the special toys. That peaked his interest. He sat on the potty for 10 minutes the first time...and no pee. But he hopped off and went for that toy. I told him "no, honey. You get this toy when you pee in the potty" so I set the timer on the microwave for 20 minutes and we tried again. Still no pee. 20 minutes later, we tried again and his pull-up was wet. I just knew this was going to be a bust. So I brought out 2 other toys (all of which were trains in the Thomas collection - I'm no fool! I know what will get him excited) and told him he could pick which one he wanted. He sat there on the potty looking at these 3 toys so excited. And then HE PEED!!!!! Yes, he actually peed. I almost cried. And I have never been so happy to see someone pee before. We washed hands, he picked the toy he wanted and off he went. 20 minutes later, we peed a little more in the potty and 20 minutes after that, we peed again in the potty!!! He sat on the potty and said "momma, you happy?" in his sweet voice. I said yes and after we washed hands and opened our new toy, we danced.

3 pees in the potty! A HUGE step in the right direction.

so excited! he picked "Kevin" from Thomas and Friends as his first toy

showing off Kevin

so proud!

No comments:

Post a Comment