Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

a great day despite...


...the 11:45 PM wakeup call to Love Bug with croup, the 3 doctor's appointments and the 3 vaccines.  

I could not have dreaded today more than if my toenails were being ripped out.  I didn't go to sleep until 4:30 this morning since Love Bug was burning with fever and developed a nasty bout of croup around 11:45 last night.  I finally left her room at 4:30 to sleep, D went in there at 6:30 to cuddle with her, woke me up at 7:00 so I could get ready and get me and The Mayor out the door for his post-op appointment by 7:45.

We arrived at his post-op appointment and it was everything I knew it would be.  Horrible.  He hates that office.  And today we proved it really is that office.  I had to hold him down just so the nice physician's assistant could look in his ears, nose and mouth.  And that is literally the extent of the examination.  But you would have thought The Mayor was being cut open and stitched up with no medication the way he screamed.  He and I were in a sweat when we left.

We left the ENT, went home to pick up D and Love Bug and left for her 18 month checkup and his 4 year checkup.

Those appointments were so much better.  The Mayor kept reassuring Love Bug "it's not scary...it's just the doctor...it is ok".  I just looked at him like he had two heads...I mean, hello?  Were you not just screaming your head off at the ENT?

While The Mayor went for his hearing and vision test, D stayed with Love Bug while she got checked out.  We didn't get to the hearing test and only through about half of the vision test.  He did great until he had to keep the spoon over one eye and stand in the box and look at the shape...too much.  We will try again in 6 months.

After Love Bug's checkup, it was The Mayor's turn.  And it was awesome.  He laughed, talked to the doctor, and did everything he was supposed to do.  I swear, it really is that ENT office.  The Mayor let the pediatrician look in his mouth, ears, nose and listen to his chest and back with no hesitation.  Thank you Jesus because I just couldn't take another meltdown in a doctor's office.

We left with a prescription for an oral steroid for Love Bug and 3 vaccines for The Mayor.

We got home, gave Love Bug her first dose of medicine and put her down for a nap.  She wasn't interested in eating...just sleeping.  Over 4 hours later, she woke up fever free and hungry!  She ate a great dinner, still has no fever (99.5 - which is no fever in my book) and is playing.  She looks like herself and is acting more like herself.  She still sounds like a sad barking seal when she coughs, but we are getting better.  She just had her second round of steroids and should be back to her sweet self in no time.

We had quite the crazy morning, but it really did turn out to be a great day.  Despite the shots and croup everyone is happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment