Followers

Friends

Powered by Blogger.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

first day of kindergarten


With the exception of D's race days when we have to get up before the sun, The Mayor has woken me up every day of his entire life.  Every morning he comes in to my room, smiles, gives me hugs and kisses and asks if I had sweet dreams.  We cuddle, watch some TV and enjoy the quiet morning until Love Bug wakes up.  Today it all changed.  D and I went into The Mayor's room at 6am to wake him up.  I gave him a bath (which normally we will do baths at night but I thought maybe the warm bath would be a nice way to wake up), got him dressed in the outfit he picked out the night before and went downstairs for breakfast.  When we left his room, the first words out of his mouth were "wow!  it's still dark outside!"  He thought it was so cool to be up while it was dark, and I thought it was totally crazy we were up and dressed before dark.

A couple of times he got up from the breakfast table to look out the window...just to make sure it was still dark.  He couldn't wait until we left the house to get to the bus stop.  We arrived to the bus stop and the boys on our street greeted him like he was royalty.  It made him feel great and me relieved.  Three of the boys asked if they could walk The Mayor to his class so they could make sure he made it safely.  How sweet is that?!  The Mayor was disappointed when I told him his teacher was getting him from the bus and walking him to class...but after the first couple of weeks when the school is certain the kids know the routine, his friends from our street can walk him to class.

I was fine until that yellow bus pulled up and he got into line.  Then the tears started...I clicked a lot of pictures of him walking just so the camera would hide my face.  I didn't want him to see me cry.  He climbed those steps, sat in a seat and waved good-bye.  And that was it for me.  The floodgates opened and there was no stopping those tears.  D stood around and spoke to our neighbor and I just quietly walked into the house to cry in my coffee.  I cried off and on for the next several hours.






The Mayor with half the kids from our bus stop...there are lots of kids at our bus stop



Luckily, Love Bug and I had plans with my friend Sue and we hit Costco, ate lunch and then ran a couple of errands.  While we were out, The Mayor's teacher emailed the parents letting us know everyone was having a great day.  That made me feel great, and Sue kept me occupied until it was time to get to the bus stop to pick my boy up.  D met us at the bus stop and we waited patiently until that yellow bus came around the corner.  The door opened and my sweet boy had the biggest smile on his face.  He ran off that bus with huge smiles telling us how much he loved school.  He had a great day (his favorite being the playground...no shocker there) and can't wait to go back.

Love Bug and Sue

hate these next few are so blurry...but there is no missing that smile!


so happy!  he loves kindergarten!




After school was karate then dinner and ice cream.  Nothing beats ice cream to celebrate a great first day of kindergarten.  When we got home from ice cream it was time for bed.  This day was emotional but went pretty quickly.  Thankful for that!  


Tomorrow will not be nearly as emotional as today.  Knowing he loved it so much and seeing that big smile on his face when he got home puts me at ease.  But I am so happy tomorrow is Friday and I will have him home for the weekend.



No comments:

Post a Comment